What was the Mark of Cain?  And was this mark a blessing or curse?  The Book of Genesis does not go into the greatest detail on this but merely mentions that God placed it on Cain to protect him. It was a shield of sorts.

One can read the text of Genesis, chapter four, and see how the various events played out.  Cain envied his brother Abel and killed him because God favored Abel and his sacrifice, whereas what Cain sacrificed (grains and plants) were rejected.  We see in Genesis 4:10 to 4:14 that Cain is cursed and penalized severely but we can see from verse 15 that the mark placed on him is for his protection and no curse.  It is not a further penalty or burden!!!

What was the nature of this mark?  Was it a racial difference as some try to say?  Was Cain turned into an ugly orgre or a Neanderthal like creature?  (some actually say these things.).  Most of these speculation are silly!  The mark was a good thing and for the protection of Cain, despite his committing murder. One might even wonder if Cain was ultimately redeemed. Certainly the Lord cared for and provided for Cain.  We don't hear much more about Cain after some brief genealogies.....

Does the Hebrew text and the early Greek (Septuagint) give us any clues about the mark or sign?  The Hebrew for mark in Genesis 4 is oth or ot and is Strongs number 226.  This signifies a "mark" or "sign".  Note that the final letter for ot is the Hebrew letter Tav, which roughly corresponds to our "T", and up to about 600 BC. this was a cross shaped letter, looking little like the latter squared Hebrew letter.  Could the mark that the Lord placed on Cain be a cross? Some have suggested that this letter can alone indicate "covenant". I think this is very likely and that Cain was actually repentant for his sins. The Septuagint text does not seem to help us determine anything extra. The word mark is rendered semion (semeion) or sign.  It had to be visible enough to warn others so it was either an actual mark or something clear in Cain's activities.  Cain has been demonized down through time but he was probably no more sinful than King David or Saul of Tarsus.

(Also the "serpent seed idea" is nonsense as Cain was sired by Adam as he and Eve had relationships (Gen. 4:1). Adam even exclaims he has gotten a man from the Lord. Cain is not a result of the serpent having sex with Eve!).

And note the earlier form of the TAV---
And in Hebrew or Jewish translations of the Book of Revelation Yeshua is the Alef and the Tav, because in the Hebrew Alphabet the "Tav" is the final letter and it also represents completion.  There is completion in the Cross of Christ Jesus.

Tags: Abel, Cain, Genesis, Nod, mark, murder, serpent, sign

Views: 1912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Hannah Smith,

[Not a one of you am I infatuated with specially not your cousin. Also I do not worship your god. "Heli," in  all the Gentile Bibles. I will do a discussion on it just to let the rest of the members here know because if anybody worships, then they have no god. That is the reason that none of you know any scripture just like that supposedly one verse of knowledge that you put up there above. If you had a god then you would obey the following and mind your business, unless Steve is your business.]
----------------------
[Being as all of you like his opinions then ask him the opinion on the following scripture.]

1Ti 2:11-15  Let a woman learn in peace, fully submitted; but I do not permit a woman to teach a man or exercise authority over him; rather, she is to remain at peace. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. Also it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who, on being deceived, became involved in the transgression. Nevertheless, the woman will be delivered through childbearing, provided that she continues trusting, loving and living a holy life with modesty.
[ Now all of you get together as you have been doing and go make your normal complaint to the Admin. But before any of you do that show him how you interjected into discussions that none of you are involved in.]
----------------
[As for as you saying hush to me why don't you do that to yours, because I am not one of Yours. show respect you get respect and as I am not one of your children, you step out of your boundaries. The scripture that you used is no longer in effect as Jesus was executed by the Roman soldiers approximately 2,000 years ago.  But the scripture that I gave you is in effect.]
-----------------------
[By the way open your bible and see why these two parts oof scripture don't match, but first let me put the following up with it.]

1Sa 15:29  Moreover, the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind, for he's not a man that he should change his mind."

Luk 3:23  Jesus himself was about 30 years old when he began his ministry. He was (so it was thought) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli,

1Sa 1:9  Hannah got up after she had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh. Now Eli the priest was sitting on the chair by the doorpost of the tent of the LORD.
---------------------------
[I wonder who change it like they did the following.]

Jer_2:8  The priests said not, Where is the LORD? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit.
Jer_3:15  And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
Jer_10:21  For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered.
Jer_12:10  Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.
Jer_22:22  The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.
Jer_23:1  Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.
Jer_23:2  Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.
Eph_4:11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
----------------------
[Let me show you who had it changed.]

James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.[9] The translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England
------------------------------
My ancestors aren't from Great Britain which was a part of the Roman Empire back then and still is which makes the descendants of those that came from the British Isles over to the Americas, still members  of the Church of England and also members of the Roman Empire.
There are quite a few members here that doesn't know this from various nations.
--------------
One thing I know for sure is that I will never worship the pagan Druid god named Heli alias Beli Mawr.
------------------
[ I do hope others from other nations will read this and starting questioning the validity of the worshipers of the King James Bible and all other Gentile Church Bibles. Now go make complaints about me for telling the truth. Then everybody here will know the truth about you all.]

RSS

© 2014   Created by yousef.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service